ADVERTISEMENT

Time for some POSITIVE COACHING...and a little psychology.

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
Last night's effort was really encouraging for me, for Gopher basketball. I saw the fans and team come together to support their own.. Dupree McBrayer needed that, big time... Amir Coffey needed it big time...It was a chance for our experienced leaders on the team to step up and they did. Now, it is time to ACKNOWLEDGE IT in practice, but use it as a PLATFORM to get even better, not stay the same or go backwards..

Amir Coffey was a BEAST... That is the best I have seen Amir play since becoming a Gopher.. A common mantra in the work environment in the US is "DONT WORK YOUR HARDEST BECAUSE THEN THE BOSSES WILL EXPECT IT ALL THE TIME"... I hope Amir never hears or considers that the rest of his life... He showed, that with an aggressive attitude and play on the floor, that he can take over a game against a good team... That is what is EXPECTED of a player with such lofty rankings coming out of HS..Amir demonstrated leadership in this game. Nebraska played us man-to-man, and Pitino got good motion out of our offense, which allowed us to get the ball to Coffey on the right wing going to his left.. As a left hander, that played into Coffey's strength. Great game for Amir

Dupree McBrayer... I cried at the end and I promise I am secure enough as a person to admit it and not feel I will lose my 'man card'... That 3 pointer he hit was HUGE.... The basketball floor is probably a relief and place to 'be with family(the team)' so I think playing was the right decision for him.. For anyone that has lost someone close to them, it is the QUIET TIMES TO REFLECT ON MEMORIES, HOLIDAYS, BIRTHDAYS, ANNIVERSARIES, WANTING TO CALL ON THE PHONE AND HEAR THEIR REASSURING VOICE, FEEL A HUG OR A KISS THAT THEY CANT HAVE ANYMORE that are the hardest times.. Dupree's hardest times are ahead but IN THE PRESENT TIME, he needed those teammates to rally around him like they did last night... SO PROUD OF THE TEAM, OF DUPREE, OF THE GOPHER FANS AT THE BARN... Life is NOT FAIR and Dupree is a great kid who played courageously in extremely difficult circumstances.. Great effort in a difficult circumstance.

Jordan Murphy.. How are we going to replace his continuous efforts next year?? He is just a warrior out there. He just wont let this team lose and Jordan as well as Amir stepped up so big.. Great timing and effort on rebounds and looks for the contact to draw fouls...Thankful that he is a Gopher...

Now the LITTLE PSYCHOLOGY... Isaiah Washington is so distant emotionally from the team, right now.. At least that is what his body language tells me from seeing it on TV... Kids have different personalities so they each have different things that motivate them. Maybe get some counseling for the young man.. His body language is horrible and he has to understand his play has to become consistent for this team to be at their best. Gotta find what triggers that young man to be a solid contributor or a change of scenery may be what is best for him, down the road.

Lastly, Tim Miles is a super classy coach... What he did for Dupree last night was great, for an opponent.. In our society, unfortunately KINDNESS is really not respected.. It is a sign for others to take advantage of a person who displays it, as a sign for weakness. It is a sign to some as being naive. ALL SAD NARRATIVES as KINDNESS SHOULD BE CELEBRATED AND UPLIFTED... TIm Miles is a kind man and I pray has a lot of success as a result... Tim, you wont read this but I have the utmost respect for you as a person and wish I could talk to you to express how important that is to be like that to those you are able to touch, in their lives... Thank you, Coach Miles!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News