ADVERTISEMENT

To me, the question this week is did the Gophers football team learn anything from this loss.

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
Coming off of a shutout of a P5 team on the road, we thought that BGSU would be an automatic in the WIN column. Our homecoming game against an opponent with inferior talent. BGSU had other thoughts. We ended up getting beat by a team that outplayed us..

Everyone has bad days. 18-23 year olds that are athletes have bad days. Lets hope that is all it is. I am WELL AWARE that the coaching staff needs to take its responsibility for this loss.. I also hope the young players learn a lesson to never take any program lightly. Every team and opponent presents challenges.

I know when I coached that I hated when we would have an opponent that we were much better than them.. Practices leading up to the game weren't as crisp. Players attitudes were more lax, going into the game. It was harder to keep practice tempo at a faster rate because the kids knew we could probably win without having to work hard at practice.. I would much rather coach kids when the opponent was as good or better than my team. I am guessing now that the Big Ten season is here, the Gophers will be a bit more focused as well.

I will be looking at the offensive play calling, like everyone else. But I still think execution and focus were the biggest problems and the players need to own their side of the loss as well.. Tanner knows he has to be sharper mentally and make better decisions. The line has to do a better job. AGAIN, my hope is Mike Sanford owns up to what he could have done better to prepare his guys and I am hoping all have learned a big lesson to never take any opponent lightly.. We have to prepare against every team the same way we did against Ohio State or Colorado. I would love to be a "fly on the wall" in the meetings and practices this week to see how things go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News