Littlefinger

The Wisest Fool
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2004
'18 TGR POY
Under the Helmet: Sam Renner

Renner_Sam_0434.JPG

FOOTBALL | 10/11/2018 11:14:00 AM

Sam Renner is coming off a career high six tackle game last time out. The Maple Grove, Minn., native earned a scholarship last spring and has worked his way into the defensive line rotation this season. He blocked a punt in the season opener, has broken up one pass and has recorded eight tackles. We got to know him under the helmet in this week's Q and A.

Gopher Sports: How does it feel to have already received your undergraduate degree?

Sam Renner: It's a good feeling, it's kind of an accomplishment. Obviously along with our culture you have to continue to change your best, so now I'm pursuing a master's degree and I should have that finished by the time I'm done with football.

GS: What are your plans after this season?

SR: After this football season I'll probably go back home and spend some time with family. I'll continue to workout to get ready for the next upcoming season and school year.

GS: How do you balance being a student-athlete and succeeding in school?

SR: I would say the best thing to do would be to prioritize your life and always do the right thing. That is Coach Fleck's only rule, to do the right thing and make sure that you are continuing to be the best person you can be during all four years.

GS: How did it feel when you found out you received a scholarship at the spring game?

SR: It was utter shock, I had no idea it was going to happen. Then my coaches and teammates just pointed me to the scoreboard and I just started running. It was pretty awesome to have the whole team there for it.

GS: What did it mean to you to get that scholarship?

SR: It really meant that my hard work had been recognized and that I was getting something for the kind of work I had done, it was kind of just a sign of how much Coach Fleck valued that.

GS: What is your favorite part about being on this team?

SR: My favorite part about being on this team is the impact it makes on the community. It's built on serving and giving and it's really impressive to see what we can do with other people.

GS: If you could play any other position, what would it be and why?

SR: I would probably say tight end just because I was a tight end in high school and I was able to get more touchdowns, so that was kind of cool.

GS: If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?

SR: I would say it would be laser vision because I don't imagine any other superpower being able to defeat laser vision.

GS: What is your favorite show to binge watch on Netflix?

SR: Best show on Netflix right now is Riverdale. I'm on season two, episode eight and it's getting really dramatic, I can't get enough of it.

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/10/11/football-under-the-helmet-sam-renner.aspx

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News