ADVERTISEMENT

What is going on in St Paul's public schools??

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
Right now, this is pandemic everywhere, not just St Paul, but I saw a teacher on Bill O'Reilly's show last night talking about discipline in the public schools... Places like Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Chicago have been in the news earlier in the last couple years where I am not sure education is the goal but surviving the day at school without getting threatened or beaten up is more on the agenda for the teacher.

O'Reilly reported some liberal group from out West somewhere came to St Paul to consult the school system. Basically as sensitivity training for the teachers on race or background. I don't think an emphasis on difference in races does anything to help education in schools. As a matter of fact, it may hurt it. That doesn't solve the problem in how to handle unruly kids in the classroom so that the disruption doesn't hurt the ones who are trying to do the right thing. I don't think there are any simple answers as throwing money at schools is not the answer. Baltimore has 2nd most money spent per student and their school system is a mess. I wonder if conventional school is NOT the answer for some kids even at an early age. I do think that taking the arts out of school is really unfortunate as it teaches a lot of things as does athletics but budgets get so tight that something has to be cut.

These situations have bled into rural schools so its not just a city school problem anymore. It has to be a collaborative solution between school and parents.. Many kids don't have 2 parents anymore and discipline is not administered consistently at school and in the home. It isn't like the 'old days' where one parent stays home and the other works, even if there are 2 parents. Most of the time, both work and are tired when they get home so working with academic issues with their kids is a difficult task. Sometimes, I think the parents or guardians should have to be required to spend a couple days with the teachers at the beginning of the school year so that they are on the same page.. No more "PC" groups coming to advise, please. Our children's future deserves better.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigTenFBGuy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News