ADVERTISEMENT

What We Don't Know

NCGO4

Gold Member
Sep 14, 2002
I'm looking at this from afar. And I have to tell you this looks nuts. On the one hand, it could be that 10 U of M football players have gone completely off track. On the other, it could be that a U of M committee has gone completely off track. I find it difficult to imagine that it's a little of both. The result of either could be devastating to the Athletic department at the University of Minnesota.

If it's the first, I expect that Mr. Claeys and Sawvel will be gone. This recruiting class will be decimated. Furthermore, if the two are out of here the other coaches will consider their tenure finished as well. I would also expect a mass exodus of student athletes from the program. Certainly any underclassmen that have realized any playing time could easily choose to leave. The timing is such, with the semester ending and the bowl game 10 days away that they could all be gone in a few weeks. This would happen much more quickly than a replacement could be found. Especially by this committee driven bureaucracy driven institution.

If it's the second, I would expect most of the 10 to transfer out of the program immediately quickly followed by many others. Why on earth would any player want to stick with this dumpster fire? I would expect most of the coaching staff to recognize that they are in an untenable position and to leave as well. Most of the coaching staff has a reputation that would quickly allow them to find employment elsewhere. In most cases at equal salary.

In either event the football program at Minnesota could very well be in shambles. The team decimated, and the fan base widely erased. I could see construction stop on the new facilities and the Athletic Department with a major fiscal problem.

Someone needs to be in charge. They better figure out whom that will be and real damned quickly. If this is allowed to go on indefinitely like the mess last fall, the result could be the same. The recruiting class will be gone. All we could count on for sure is that the local press will do everything they can to exacerbate this situation.

This is not good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News