ADVERTISEMENT

Where Are They Now? Gopher Connor Mayes, OL (2014-2016)

timothynelson53

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2008
Broomfield CO
13th in a Series

Where Are They Now? Gopher Connor Mayes, OL (2014-2016)

Connor Mayes, at 6’5”, 309 lbs OL, was a 2014 recruit of HC Jerry Kill from Van Alstyne High School in Texas. Connor earned a Rivals 3-star, 5.6 ranking, and 4 stars on Scout, and competed in the U.S. Army All-American game. He was rated a top-60 player in Texas, and No. 5 center in his recruiting class.

In 2014 as a pure freshman for the Gophers, Connor played in 8 games on the OL and special teams. In 2015 he played in all 13 games, starting 9 at OG. As a junior in 2016, Connor played in 13 games, starting 6.

In March of 2017, after playing in 34 games for Minnesota, on the heels of HC Tracy Claeys’ firing, and the Title IX investigation, Mayes announced his intention to transfer to another program. He transferred to TCU, to sit out a year, with one year of eligibility remaining. However, 4 months later, in July, 2017 he announced his retirement from football, stating that “the fire that I used to have for this sport just isn’t there anymore.”

He is currently finishing up his undergrad degree work, and interning at an HR firm in Dallas, Texas.

Interview Questions:

1.How is your physical health, a couple years removed from your college football career? Do you have lingering effects from concussions or any other football injuries?

I’m feeling better than ever since I’ve decided to leave the game. Also I never suffered any severe injuries during my time in Minnesota so I can’t really say that I’ve noticed any lingering effects caused by football.

2. After retiring from football, did you change your diet to achieve an “after football” weight? How did it go? What do you weigh now?

To be honest I didn’t really adjust that well from going from “eating like an offensive lineman” to eating a diet that was suitable for the average person. I really ballooned up the months following my retirement from football. Like nearing the 400’s big. So back in November of 2017 was when I really decided I needed to make a change, or else I was going to run into some major health complications if I continued gaining weight at the rate I did. But as of today I am about 296 and still dropping every week! The goal weight I’m shooting for is to be right around 260. I’m hoping I can reach that before December is over!

3. How much did HC Tracy Claeys’ firing and/or the U of M administration’s handling of the Title IX player suspension/expulsion issues affect your decision to transfer from Minnesota?

My decision to leave the game of football was influenced by multiple different factors and not one single event or person. Even though I feel things regarding that situation should have been handled a whole lot differently, I do not hold any resentment towards the university. The administration made the move they felt was best and I have to respect it. What good does holding a grudge do? Haha

4. After transferring to TCU, you retired from football with a year of eligibility remaining. Can you tell us what went into that decision, and have you had second thoughts about hanging up your cleats?

So my short stint at TCU was sort of a test that I needed to do for myself. I know from the outside looking in at my situation it seemed like I was all over the place with my statements and actions regarding the game. At the time I left Minnesota I knew deep inside that I was growing tired and unhappy playing football. I just didn’t have the same drive and passion as I did years previous. I thought maybe if I transferred back to my home state of Texas and played for TCU, a school that both my grandfather and father played for, that I might spark the fire to play again. But I knew within the first couple weeks that I was forcing something that just wasn’t there anymore. It was a tougher decision for me to make than most people realize. I had been dealing with all these thoughts and emotions without telling a soul how I was feeling and it started to become mentally crippling for me. Now that it’s been more than a year since I’ve stopped playing I can confidently say that I am happy where I’m at in life. The only aspect of the football life that I think I’ll miss is hanging out with my teammates. I made a lot of memories that will last me the rest of my life with the guys on that team.

5. Matt Limegrover served as both the OL coach and the OC under HC Kill, and was fired by Claeys in November of 2015 soon after Claeys succeeded Kill as HC. After Limegrover left he acknowledged that this dual role had stretched him too thin and as a result, he hadn’t done both jobs justice. Did you have any sense of this while playing under Limegrover?

If I’m being honest, no. But I could imagine how the amount of time and dedication that went into a role like that could wear on a person. But in my day-to- day dealings with Coach Limey I never noticed him being down about anything like that. He was always ready to teach and help his players perform to the best of their ability. There were times when his coaching was intense but I felt I really thrived off that kind of coaching style. No matter what anyone thinks about the man I will never have anything bad to say about him.

6. What are some of your favorite memories of your time at Minnesota (on and/or off the field)?

One of the most memorable things would have to be my first start against TCU. That feeling before running out on the field was something that I don’t think I will ever be able to recreate. As for off the field…..definitely all the long nights of studying and diligent note taking!(;

7. What is your favorite Coach Kill story?

There are so many great ones, but I don’t think I can share them all. There was one day where I was visibly pissed off and not having the best practice and he followed me in after practice and told me to chill out and go grab a beer. But the funniest stories are always the ones that can’t be shared over the internet!

8. What Gopher loss from your playing days stung/stings the worst?

It would probably be my sophomore year against Michigan, when we got to wear those sweet anthracite uniforms. That game came down to the wire and it hurt a hell of a lot to lose at the time. Looking back on it though, that game was a blast to play in.

9. What Gopher win from your career was most satisfying?

My freshman year against Iowa for sure. We were wearing them out up front so I got to go in and play the rest of the second half. It was an awesome feeling seeing those seniors so happy to get that trophy one last time.

10. What important life lessons did you learn from your football experiences?

I think the biggest thing I’ve taken away from the game of football is that it’s instilled a work ethic in me that allows me to succeed through any level of adversity that comes my way. This game allowed me to realize that even when it seems like you’re out of the fight, there’s always something that can be done.

11. Have you completed your college degree? What was/is your field of study?

I am actually going to finish up the last 3 credits I need to graduate this coming fall! I will graduate with a BS in Integrative Studies, which allowed me to study in the fields of marketing, management, and communications.

12. Tell us about your work/career plans/aspirations.

I just finished my internship with an HR Firm here in Dallas and have the opportunity to stay on full time with the marketing department, even while I’m finishing my last 3-hour class. So I just plan on sticking to the grind and seizing every opportunity that comes my way.

13. Do you have any family/relationship news you want to share?

The fam is doing great! My little sister Molly (The Favorite Mayes Child) just started her student job with the A&M football team. My brother Alex just turned 24 and is working in marketing here in Dallas. The parents are still cool as ever!

P.S.

No news on the dating front. If any of you Rivals members have any hot daughters they can follow me on Twitter or Instagram.

P.P.S.

That was just a joke. Kind of.

14. How actively do you follow Gopher football? Have you gotten back to attend any games? Are you a member of the MN Rivals site? How do you receive most of your Gopher sports news and information? Do you keep in touch with any former GG teammates?

I really only get my gopher football news from Twitter. I also keep in touch with most of my old teammates! Mainly the offensive line but still in talks with a lot of the guys.

15. Does the current Gopher coaching staff maintain any contact with you?

No they don’t. P.J. Fleck still follows me on twitter though. Haha It would be cool to meet the new tight ends coach Clay Patterson, his father was my coach in middle school and part of high school.

16. Do you have any Gopher tattoos? (Pics if possible)

Nope! Maybe someday! lol

17. Are you active on social media? Which platforms?

Yes

Twitter- @ConnorMayesOL

Instagram- @Cmayes55

Facebook- Connor Mayes

18. Are you involved in any sports/fitness/physical activities and/or coaching? Please describe.

I work out a lot. But that’s about it regarding being involved in any kind of athletics.

19. Concussions and CTE are on the minds of many sports fans and participants. If you have kids, do you think you'll encourage or allow them to play tackle football?

I’m sure I’ll have stronger feelings about it when that time comes, but yes, I will encourage them to play when they are old enough. But while they are young I definitely want them to try all peewee sports.

20. Without football substantially dominating your time, on what do you tend to spend your time?

Working and working out is what most of my time is filled with. But in my free time I just like going out with my friends and hanging out with them. Living like a young person as long as I can! haha

21. What are you most passionate about?

At this moment in my life I would probably say my weight loss journey. I’ve gone from almost 400 lbs to 296 lbs and don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. It’s been an extremely difficult process but it feels amazing to have all this weight falling off of me.

22. What might Gopher fans be surprised to learn about you?

I’m not sure if it would come as a surprise or not but I want people to know that my retirement from the game of football had nothing to do with my feelings towards the administration and current or former coaches/players, but rather me just not having the same fire to play anymore. The Gophers will always be my team in my heart!

23. Do you have any message for Gopher fans, Coach Fleck, or the current team? What is your prediction for the 2018 season record?

I just want to say how thankful I am for all the coaches, players, and fan base of the past, future, and present! You all have given me some great memories and hopefully you’ll continue to create some even better ones! RTB SKI-U-MAH!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News