ADVERTISEMENT

BBall Recruiting Williams gets Minnesota offer for Christmas (article)

David Sisk

Jun 10, 2015
Tujautae Williams picked up a tremendous Christmas present less than 72 hours before most families gather around the tree. Minnesota issued him a scholarship offer on Saturday.

They joined Texas Tech, DePaul, and New Mexico as high major programs who have offered along with Milwaukee, Detroit, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, Northwestern State, Buffalo, UIC, Utah State, and Florida Atlantic.

Williams says he is also hearing from Tulsa, Gonzaga, Miami, Virginia Tech, and Georgetown.

The 6-foot-6, 175 pound senior spoke with The Gopher Report Sunday night and told us how the Minnesota relationship came about.
"They have been recruiting me since July. Coach (Rob) Jeter saw me when I was playing in the NY2LA Tournament. He spoke with me about two weeks after the AAU season was over and told me he liked me and was interested."

Since then, Williams and Jeter have built a solid relationship. In fact it is on good enough footing that Jeter can be brutally honest with the recruit when need be.

"Coach Jeter tells me what I can do for the program, " Williams admitted. "He is brutally honest with me. He tells me the good and bad. He likes my versatility, how I come off ball-screens, and that I play fast. He also tells me I need to work on my shooting."

Coach Jeter was in Chicago last night to see Williams and his Rezin Orr Academy squad defeat North Community High 84-58. Jeter was impressed enough that he offered Williams immediately after the game. Williams said he really wasn't surprised because of the persistence of Jeter.

"They have seen me play five times, so I knew they were for real after they came that many times. Coach (Richard) Pitino is coming in next month, so I'm excited about that."

Williams hasn't seen Pitino in person, but added the two have spoken on the phone. Williams already has had previous experience with the university which has led to knowledge about the basketball program.

"I have a cousin that went there. She liked it a lot. When she would come back home, she would always tell us how great it was. That's when I started liking them. I've watched them play a lot. I like the way they play and the pick and rolls they do with the wings."

That style fits what Williams does according to his own self assessment.

"I can play multiple positions. I can play anywhere from the point guard, to the shooting guard, to the small forward. I'm really good in transition and off ball-screens. I'm very versatile. I can also guard multiple positions."

Scott Burgess of Prep Hoops Illinois has covers the Chicago area heavily, and has seen Williams play a number of times.

"He is a 6-foot-6 small forward from Orr who played as a role guy last year, and has stepped up this season into a feature player. Williams is a long and lanky wing who is a plus athlete and attacks with force off the bounce. He is a much improved passer. His jumper needs to get better consistently from three to max out his upside."

Williams told us he is will take his visits after the season is over. Rezin Orr is currently 8-4. The regular season concludes on January 26, and then the high school playoffs begin immediately after. Williams plans on taking full advantage when the visits do occur.

"I'm looking for a good fit. Academics are important. I also want a safe environment and a place where I have good relationships."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News