ADVERTISEMENT

Ko Kieft/Iowa situation

This was brought up in another thread, but I thought I'd address it with its own thread. Ko Kieft was visited by Iowa tight end coach LaVar Woods recently. Kieft grew up going to Woods' camps. On the visit, Woods told Kieft that they screwed up by not getting him. Iowa would like him, but doesn't have room for a tight end. His dad told me: "They did not offer nor do I think they will. I am sure they would like him to walk-on or greyshirt -- he won't." When I asked Ko after the official visit if he was hearing from other schools, he told me no. So I think we can say Kieft is solid to Minnesota.

Official Visitor Update

Funny thing about the recruiting business is everyone has different sources. Sometimes those sources are conflicting and we get different information. This weekend happens to be one of those instances. My sources have confirmed that Jimmy Lowery, Kobe McCrary, Tyrez Lindsey, Stephen Moye and Tobias Gilliam are all on official visits to the University of Minnesota this weekend. I will stand by my source. However, as I mentioned on Thursday night, the main reason I didn't post the names of Moye and Gilliam is because they are currently committed to other schools and, unlike Lindsey, those other schools may have tried to block the visit.
Reactions: goldenG and dubwa

Amir Watts update

Asked around about Amir Watts and here's what @Josh Helmholdt and I have to report... Minnesota and Indiana are both doing very well right now. He visited Indiana last weekend and visits Pitt this weekend. It will be Missouri (they offered yesterday) or Penn State for the last official visit, but he may be done after his official to Pitt this weekend. The consensus is that Iowa State is now out of the running (they were once the team he was supposed to visit next weekend).
Reactions: razorbladesuitcase

Big 12 looks pretty deep so far.

Obviously have to wait until the end of the season to see, but I think the Big 12 takes at least 6 to the NCAA... Out of the 10 conference teams, it could be a real possibility that 9 of the teams make post season somewhere.. I doubt TCU but everyone else yes... The NCAA may take 7 depending how many upsets Texas Tech, Kansas State, or Oklahoma State have this year.. I am figuring Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Kansas, West Virginia, and Iowa State will make the tournament.

As a side note on perspective, we better be able to teach the next generation some history and nostalgia.. Otherwise, kids are going to ask what the heck is wrong with the NCAA in learning how to count.. The Big TEN has FOURTEEN teams and the Big TWELVE has TEN teams.. And here we think common core is bad.

Arkeem Byrd article

Link: With Signing Day approaching, Arkeem Byrd has options

I spoke to Arkeem earlier this week. Right now, it's between Georgia Tech, Louisville, Minnesota, and Missouri. He's visiting Georgia Tech this weekend, and here's the text I got from their Rivals writer: "The offer is committable. I'm hearing he will commit to GT this weekend." If that offer turns out not to be committable, I think the Gophers have the best shot.

Official Visitors: Weekend of January 22

The Gophers will be hosting two official visitors, both on the defensive side of the ball, that are currently committed to other Power 5 schools. One is committed to an SEC school, the other committed to an ACC school.

Both recruits would easily result in a massive amount of Applebee's fist pumps throughout the metro area.

Also checking out the campus this weekend will be Kobe McCrary and Tyrez Lyndsay, along with Eastern Illinois offensive line transfer Jimmy Lowery.

#Boom

Guess Who?

Per ESPN Insider, Best Recruiters in the Game:

#2:
Audible: "If I needed to land somebody and had only one choice on who to send in his home to get the commitment, I would send !@#$%^&*!@#$%^. He's that good. He's the best in the business. I know it sounds like a cliché, but he probably could really sell ice to an Eskimo." -- an SEC recruiting coordinator

#7:
Audible: "He's one of the most intelligent offensive coaching minds in our league, but he's also an outstanding recruiter that makes a nice compliment to !@#$%^&* !@#$%^&*'s intensity. When he walks into the living rooms, he speaks in a clear and concise way that moms and dads respect and admire. He has a way of making them feel at ease and they want to send their kids to play for him." -- a Big Ten assistant

Mystery visitors revealed

As Zach hinted at earlier, there are two mystery official visitors this weekend. Those are Parkview (Ga.) defensive end Stephen Moye, a Virginia commit, and Wayne (Ohio) cornerback Tobias Gilliam, a Kentucky commit. Gilliam received a lot of attention from the staff this summer, but when I called him just a week ago, he told me that he hadn't heard from Minnesota "at all" but gave me the names of a couple other schools he had heard from. Moye was on my radar at the start of last contact period, but kept telling me he hadn't heard from Minnesota, including as recently as last week. So both have had Minnesota interested a long time but nothing has come of it until very recently. By the way, I received permission from my sources to reveal these names now, so I promise I'm not hurting Gopher football (nor would I want to). :)

Why we hate flipping season

We appear to have a defeatist attitude. We complain that we don't get any respect each fall when the "experts" give their predictions but yet every time a guy looks at or mentions another college we assume he's gone. We disrespect ourselves more than anyone else does. I know the coaches have a better handle on who's going where and are more positive they are going to keep guys. If Claeys is going to be successful he and the staff are going to have to demonstrate an ability to keep committed guys in January and Febuary. I think they can

Scoop items

from the scoop:

Arkansas State: Per source, Parks Frazier is leaving Middle Tennessee to go to A-State as an offensive GA.

Iowa: Seth Wallace has been announced as linebackers coach.

He was recruiting coordinator, Iowa kid, Coe College.

Mississippi State: The hirings of Peter Sirmon and Terrell Buckley have been formally announced.

Sirmon was at USC. Buckley was with Louisville. Titans hired away Mullen's cornerback coach, Canes hired away his DC, another coach took a head coach job at a small school.

Wisconsin: Paul Chryst’s contract has been extended through Jan. 31, 2021.

California: Offensive coordinator Tony Franklin has resigned to become the offensive coordinator at Middle Tennessee. Read more here.

Michigan: Connecticut AD Warde Manuel is the favorite to take over as Michigan’s full-time athletics director according Mark Blaudschun, formerly of the Boston Globe.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Tony Sorrentino will be Jacksonville’s assistant wide receivers coach, and Aaron Whitecotton will be the club’s assistant defensive line coach.

Sorrentino was a ga here with Fisch.

Weather Impact

MJH - Would be interesting to hear weather or not Durr's and Snelson's trips to VA Tech and Maryland respectively get canceled because of the huge storm about to hit that area. Even Watts might have issues getting to Pitt because of the flight issues caused by the storm. When was the last time we could thank winter weather for possibly helping our recruiting?
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT