ADVERTISEMENT

Fat Pat

Iowa loving friend sent me a link, didn't realize it was Fat Pat....here is his latest:

The 52nd Super Bowl will be played in Minneapolis. The tentative date is Feb. 4, 2018, although it could be pushed back a week, if Roger Goodell and his gang of modern-day robber barons figure out a way to add a week to the schedule and many more millions to their already obscene profit ledgers.

That subordinate clause at the end there … that’s just my view of things, of course.

I’ve been in Florida the past week and monitoring the angst of Twin Cities sports followers mostly through Twitter and comments attached to articles in the Twin Cities dailies.

There’s nothing more fun on Twitter than following my radio colleague, @1500ESPNJudd, get worked up as the Wild’s remarkable slump in this calendar year has continued.

From this distance, there seems to be many more people outraged over what’s happened with Mike Yeo’s hockey club that with the other winter sports entities.

There are also more people taking shots at Sam Mitchell’s first season coaching the Timberwolves than at Richard Pitino for his astoundingly inept third season with Gophers basketball.

The excuse is the same in both basketball arenas – “We’re young’’ – although with one team (Timberwolves) there finally are glimpses of a better future, and with the other (Gophers) there is only embarrassment.

You want to argue? The Gophers lost to both South Dakota schools in a period of 3 ½ days. End of discussion.

Wait … I guess it isn’t the end:

The only previous U of M men's basketball team to reach 0-11 in conference play was L.J. Cooke’s 1923 outfit. Those set-shooters lost the first 11 in the Big Ten, and then won the season finale against Indiana.

The Gophers have Michigan in Williams Arena on Wednesday night. The Wolverines have fallen off recently, so there’s a shot, but if the Gophers lose again, there it will be -- zero-and-12 and record-shattering ineptitude.

All of the misery back home got me to thinking (admittedly, it’s dangerous when that happens). But here’s what I was wondering on the morn of Super Bowl L.:

How many of the coaches with the seven major men’s teams in the Twin Cities still will be on the job when Super Bowl LII is played here two years from now?

These are my percentages (based on good health, of course).

Mike Zimmer, Vikings: 95 percent. He’s 59 and presumably has a few years left in him. The 5 percent chance I see of Zimmer not being on the job in February 2018 is that Teddy Bridgewater turns out to be a dud and takes the whole football operation with him.

Paul Molitor, Twins: 90 percent. He’s also 59 and presumably has a few years left in him, although 162 games of a baseball season are much more of a grind than 16 games of an NFL season. The 10 percent chance I see of Molitor not being on the job in two years is that he decides there’s more to life than baseball and steps down.

And after this pair of 59-year-olds, the percentages for coaches being here in February 2018 fall off so precipitously that – well, guess which coach I have in third place?

Richard Pitino, Gophers basketball: 40 percent. There’s enough bewilderment over this season’s futility that Dean Johnson, the chairman of the University’s Board of Regents, was willing to say last week to the St. Paul Pioneer Press that he felt Pitino deserved “one more year.’’

The deal is, Pitino has lowered the bar so far, that if the Gophers go 7-11 in the Big Ten and reach the NIT next season, it will be saluted as program building – rather than woeful progress from what will then have been a fourth-year coach.

Oh, and those other job offers that Norwood Teague felt his boy Richie was receiving … don’t worry about those.

Tracy Claeys, Gophers football: 35 percent. I was all in for giving Big Country a shot, but the immediate negative impact on recruiting raises questions. The buyout is minimal and I’m guessing there will be the return of many empty seats at TCF Bank Stadium, unless the Gophers decide to paper the house with freebies.

Crowds back in the low 40s will not be tolerated, as the athletic department takes on 10s of millions of debt by building the football-centric new facilities.

Don Lucia, Gophers hockey: 25 percent. The Don is going to walk, if not after this season, after 2016-17. That’s what I heard from a couple of hockey guys and I’m going with it.

Sam Mitchell, Timberwolves: 15 percent. Sam is an acquired taste. There are indications that some of the young Woofies are having a tough time acquiring it.

Plus, I’m guessing Glen Taylor and his new partners will bring in an outside basketball guy to run the operation. And those guys always have a connection to a different coach – or, perhaps, Flip-style, want to be the coach themselves.

Mike Yeo, Wild: 10 percent. Six years. Quite a run, when considering the crises that Yeo survived. Now, if the Wild doesn’t make the playoffs, he’s gone. Or, if the Wild makes the playoffs and loses in the first round, he’s gone.

With no magic goaltender to bring in to lift the club, I’m guessing there’s a 90 percent chance that one of those two things is going to happen, and Yeo gets gassed.

The good news for Yeo is he will go promptly into the NHL’s recycled coaching bin and land elsewhere within a year.

The crash yesterday

I am incredibly sorry that the servers crashed yesterday. You guys have every right to be upset. I'm embarrassed and feel sick about it. For the servers to fail once again definitely makes everyone at Rivals cringe. I couldn't do anything about it but wish I could have. We feel terrible about it.

There was record-breaking traffic yesterday morning, far more than historic predictions. Under that load, there was a database issue that led to other problems. We are still in a transition period between old and new technology, but that is not an excuse. Things occurred yesterday from a technical standpoint that couldn't be projected, and for that everyone at HQ and Gopher Illustrated apologizes immensely.

I'm sure you guys were told this after the last crash and I know actions speak louder than words, but I actually don't think a Signing Day crash will happen again because all backend technology will soon be migrated over. This Signing Day obliterated all traffic expectations and exposed unique challenges for our tech team, but HQ says they've already learned a lot from the problems faced yesterday and have already begun implementing improvements across the network.

Again, I am very, very sorry.

• Poll
Where will Gophers dig for 2017 FB class, I wonder...

Should the Gophers look into recruiting more JUCO players?

• Yes

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Doesn't really matter.

Votes: 5 9.3%

Just a thought.

Of the 20 to sign NLIs with Minnesota for the incoming class of 2016, three were from JUCO's. Will the number of JUCO players signed to Minnesota increase next year? I think so, and here's why.

Back in 2013, the NCAA decided to increase requirements for initial eligibility for NCAA Division I-bound athletes entering college on or after Aug.1, 2016. The required course requirements, test scores and minimum GPA have all changed. It's harder to become a D-I athlete, and I think more prospects will see themselves taking the two-year school route. The number of junior college players transferring to FBS schools is already steadily increasing and it isn't a coincidence.

To add, as recruiting becomes more competitive and coaches have less time to build, or rebuild, they have to weigh their options for delivering impact players to the program. Do you invest a year's worth of scholarship money (because all scholarships are one-year deals, unless you're an amazing 5-star prospect) into an incoming freshman out of high school, a three-star prospect yes, but maybe played in a not-so-talented conference, or a JUCO player, with maybe a 2 or 3 star rating, but with two years of college experience against grown men and who only played at the JUCO level because he did not initially qualify.

The JUCO players are growing in numbers. So what should the Gophers do?
Reactions: mattam3210

2017 Recruiting Big Board

Until Signing Day, the focus without a doubt was on finishing the 2016 class, and the staff would still like to add a late qualifier or two. I'm not sure how much the staff has met and talked about the 2017 class, but I can't imagine it would be much at all and understandably so. There will be tons of names that pop up, especially after the staff travels the South watching spring practices, but here are some names to know about for the time being.

Minnesota prospects

Marshall tackle Blaise Andries - Andries holds offers from Colorado State, Illinois, Iowa State, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, and Northwestern. He grew up a Gopher fan and would drive to games with his dad before he got the free recruit tickets. Knowing that, the Gophers are definitely positioned well to land him, but they'll likely have to fight off a dozen power five programs and maybe a couple helmet schools.

Login to view embedded media
Robbinsdale Cooper tackle Eric Abojei - Abojei was offered on Junior Day, and Minnesota is his only offer to date. The Gophers have several natural advantages in that (a) he and his family grew up fans and his brother is/was a U student, (b) I get the sense that he's very close to his family and one would think that staying near them would be a draw, and (c) he's great friends with Phillip Howard. Abojei played tackle for Cooper but could make the transition to guard in college.

East Ridge kicker Grant Ryerse -- Ryerse was offered the summer before his sophomore season, and assuming his offer is still committable (Nunez is now gone so we'll see), he'll be a Gopher. Ryerse comes from a family that bleeds maroon and gold; their family went to the Citrus Bowl. I haven't heard anything to suggest that Ryerse won't be a Gopher.

Woodbury outside linebacker Nico Bolden - Bolden plays safety for Woodbury, but will be an outside linebacker at the next level. He already holds offers from Eastern Illinois, Illinois State, and South Dakota State. He's 6'4", 195 pounds, and certainly a good athlete. If he improves his pad level, he's definitely a power five outside linebacker in my opinion. Here's a screenshot of my notes on his film if you're interested in learning more about him as a player.

Eden Prairie defensive end Jermaine Johnson - Johnson is an extremely explosive defensive end that looks more like a wide receiver than a defensive end. His first step is exceptional, and he dominated in pass rushing drills when I watched him in June and July. You can read my recap of his June camp performance here and July camp performance here. The 6'5", 223 pound defensive end does not hold any offers but they will come. If an offer comes, I think he'll be a Gopher, as he told me he'd pick Minnesota over Ohio State "any day of the week." He's a big fan.

Benilde St. Margaret's guard Eric Wilson - Wilson already was offered by the old staff at Iowa State, and currently holds offers from Miami (OH), Penn, Princeton, South Dakota State, and Yale.

Benilde St. Margaret's running back Ricky Floyd - Floyd put up monster numbers this year for BSM, so many programs have their eye on him. He has good speed, shiftiness, and hands, but doesn't get many yards after contact.

Burnsville athlete Jackson Martens - Martens is a great athlete and could end up at a couple of positions at the next level, but linebacker would be my guess for now. He's flown under the radar, but several people I've talked to are very high on him.

Lakeville South center Eric Rousemiller - Rousemiller was once considered to be maybe the best 2017 prospect in the state, but didn't have his best performance at a Gophers camp over the summer, and that's brought his stock down a little bit. He'll get another chance to earn an offer at camp this summer. He's very strong and a state champion competitive weight lifter.

Caledonia defensive end Ezekiel Ott - Ott opened eyes this summer at a Junior Elite Camp. He has a very quick stop and a great motor. At 6'2" and 205 pounds, his size might hold him back picking up big offers, but he was certainly one one of the best 2017 defensive lineman this summer and earned the staff's attention.

Osseo tackle Nash Jensen - Jensen is a good-sized tackle who moves pretty well for his size.

I do not anticipate any more in-state offers to be extended until the staff watches them at camp. Other names that I've mentioned before to know about are Woodbury's DE/OLB Kolade Amusan, FB/DT/MLB Jalen Morrison, and TE Nate Bursch, Triton ATH Leif Bungum, Providence Academy G Gavin Blomberg, Burnsville ATH Steph Olson Jr., East Ridge RB Dominik London, Hopkins ATH Malik Loftin, Mound Westonka ATH Isaiah Cherrier, Cretin-Derham Hall C Nick Neumann, North ATH Jamire Jackson, and Apple Valley ATH Mario Lewis. I'm at least somewhat familiar with all of these names, so let me know if you have any questions about them.

Out-of-state prospects who visited for Junior Day
Out-of-state campers from the summer
  • Pittsburg (Kansas) tight end Trevor Kent has the look of a Big Ten tight end. He has the height and weight to add more weight. Minnesota would have offered if his 40/shuttle had tested just a little bit better, although I thought he moved well when he watching routes. He has good hands, as well. Being from Pittsburg, the staff has a great relationship with his coaches. Kent already holds offers from Iowa State, Kansas, Michigan, and Missouri.
  • IMG Academy (Fla.) wide receiver Brock Annexstad was the most impressive receiver at the July Junior Elite Camp. He ran very crisp routes and got in and out of his cuts quickly. He transferred to IMG from Mankato West.
  • Jesuit (Oreg.) defensive back Demetrius Davis camped in June and is the son of Omar Douglas. I wasn't overly impressed with him, but there were so many receivers and corners that I didn't get to see a lot of his reps. He's a smooth athlete and the staff worked with him for a long time after the camp ended.
  • Mullen (Colo.) cornerback Christian Cumber has received some interest from the staff. Cumber has good size and is a 5.7 three star with offers from Colorado and Colorado State.
  • Iowa City West (Iowa) offensive lineman Alex Kleinow was the best pass blocker at the July 19 Junior Elite Camp and has good size at 6'6". He holds an offer from Iowa State.
  • Orchard Lake St. Mary's (Mich.) outside linebacker Dwayne Chapman is short at just 6-feet tall but moves well and has quick feet. He's also built well. Chapman holds ten MAC offers.
  • Saline (Mich.) tight end Bryce Wolma - Wolma had decent size, had good hands, and ran good routes. He also came to a Gopher game this fall.
  • Kimberly (Wisc.) quarterback Danny Vanden Boom
2017 out-of-state offers

I'm not including four and five stars who have indicated zero interest or are committed elsewhere.
  • Orchard Lake St. Mary's (Mich.) cornerback Richard Bowens III - Bowens earned his offer at camp this summer and also visited for Junior Day. He's exactly the press cover corner that Sawvel looks for and Minnesota has already put in a decent amount of legwork for Bowens. He holds other notable offers from Cincinnati, Iowa State, and Syracuse.
  • Neuqua Valley (Ill.) wide receiver Isaiah Robertson - Robertson is a four star that sounded receptive to Minnesota when I spoke to him (fwiw). He heard from Minnesota on the first day when contact was first permitted on September 1.
  • Bolingbrook (Ill.) defensive end Izayah Green-May - Green-May is a product of the same high school as the Huff brothers. Like many Gopher defensive end targets, he's tall and long but in need of adding weight (6'5", 205 pounds). Green-May holds offers from Illinois and Syracuse, in addition to Minnesota and a couple of MAC schools.
  • Lake Park (Ill.) defensive end Jacub Panasiuk - The Gophers recruited Jacub's older brother in this class, but he committed to Michigan. The Panasiuks come from the same high school as Antonio Shenault, and I know from talking to the Lake Park coach that he really likes the Minnesota staff. Panasiuk holds a Michigan State offer, and I imagine that will be tough to beat. Minnesota has put in some work with him, though. He's listed Minnesota as a school of interest for a while.
  • Newton (Ga.) outside linebacker Jaquan Henderson and wide receiver Jeremiah Holloman - Anderson visited these two twice over the contact period, so there's strong interest even though they're committed to UCLA and Michigan.
Out-of-state names to know about
None of these players have offers but all are on Minnesota's radar, and many of them heard from the Gophers during the first day of contact for juniors, which was September 1. Many of these recruits are from the Midwest, and I think there will be more Southern recruits on the board after coaches head south to watch teams practice.

New Football/Football Recruiting Writer for GI

Afternoon GI readers and subscribers,

My name is Nick Williams and I will be joining the GI family to help bring you news and updates on everything Gopher football and recruiting.

A little about myself, I have worked as a professional sports journalist for 13 years at various news outlets across the country. For 8 1/2 years, I worked as a sports writer/multimedia journalist for the Tampa Tribune in Tampa, FL, one of the nation's largest newspapers, where I covered the Tampa Bay Rays, Buccaneers, Lightning, Uni. of Florida, Uni. of South Florida, Orlando Magic, college recruiting, high school sports, auto racing, boxing, summer Olympic sports and action sports. Last year I was a member of a team of writers to cover of the Stanley Cup Finals and the NCAA Women's Final Four. I also covered the 2009 Super Bowl in Tampa and the 2009 NBA Finals between Los Angeles and Orlando.

My work history has also included writing about the University of Florida and University of South Florida and I have written several stories and breaking news articles about some of the nation's top prospects that reside in Florida. Tampa Bay is a recruiting hotbed for football and on average, 50-75 athletes sign Division I NLI's each year, many of them All-Americans and high-prized recruits, so I am very familiar with the recruiting process.

I plan to add insightful and informative content to an already successful destination of Minnesota athletics and recruiting. I can be reached at nickwilliamssports@gmail.com or you can follow me on Twitter @NickWilliams_MN

What do the Pitino critics think about this....

2015 & 2016 Top-150 recruits

Michigan State-6
Minnesota-5
Ohio State-5
Indiana-4
Nebraska-4
Penn State-4
Purdue-3
Maryland-3
Northwestern-3
Illinois-3
Michigan-2
Wisconsin-2
Rutgers-1
Iowa-1

There are 5 remaining Top-150's that have a Big Ten school on their long list. From the looks of it, Maryland or Indiana might get 1 more if they're lucky, but that's about it.

This is a far cry from football, where we're light-years behind in recruiting. Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St. have around 20 4-star recruits each....to our 1.... over the last 2 years. And many other Big Ten schools are way ahead of us too.

PS - Tubby still hasn't signed a Top-150 recruit at Texas Tech. And none here since 2011 (Andre Hollins at #110).

Advice on Ft Myers/Sanibel

Heading back to Sanibel w/ the family (ages 11-16) Feb 13-20, and in checking the forecast it looks unseasonably cool. Does anyone have suggestions of things to do if it's cool and/or rainy? Has anyone done the Edison/Ford homes? We've gone to the Everglades for the airboat rides before. Been to Tin City in Naples. Marco Island worth seeing? Appreciate any feedback!
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT