ADVERTISEMENT

Great article on Gopher Wrestling's Tommy Thorn

#7 ranked RS Freshman Tommy Thorn has been a model wrestler for the Gophers and he has an excellent chance to be an All-American this year!! Here's an article on Tommy from GopherSports.com:

The Third Thorn

The youngest in a family of All-American wrestlers looks to make his own mark with the Gophers.

spacer.gif
11656778.jpeg

In his first year starting for the Gophers, Tommy Thorn has earned a top-10 national ranking

GopherSports.com
By Joey Erickson, Gopher Athletics communications
Feb. 2, 2016

Having a former All-American for a father can put a lot of pressure on a wrestler. Having two former All-Americans for older brothers can put a lot of pressure on a wrestler. Replacing a former All-American in the Gopher lineup can put a lot of pressure on a wrestler.

It could be said that Tommy Thorn was under a lot of pressure.

Thorn, a redshirt freshman from St. Michael, Minn., is the youngest in a family of gifted wrestlers. His father became an All-American in 1983 at Iowa State and his brothers, Mike and David, were both two-time All-Americans for the Gophers.

Having his family so heavily involved with wrestling led Thorn to get involved in the sport fairly young.

“I started wrestling in first or second grade,” Thorn said. “I started liking it a lot when I was in fourth or fifth grade when I started becoming competitive, started going to some national tournaments. I made a lot of friends and have just gone since then.”

Though he was too young to ever wrestle on a team with them, Thorn’s brothers made a big impact on his wrestling career.

“A huge influence. To say otherwise would be a lie,” Thorn said. “I watched them growing up my whole life and tried to emulate some of the things [they did]. The intensity they bring. They love winning. I love winning. Watching them win throughout the years and become Gophers and have success, it makes me want to do the same.”

Thorn had a very successful high school career, becoming a four-time state champion while wrestling for St. Michael-Albertville. He was All-State all four years, named the 2014 Mr. Minnesota in wrestling, and won the 2014 Junior Nationals Freestyle Championship at the prestigious Fargo tournament.

When it came time to make a decision about where to go to college, Thorn chose to follow in his brothers’ footsteps and become a Gopher.

“It was hard for me to go anywhere else,” Thorn said. “I’d been around the program since I was really young. … It just seemed like the right fit.”

He continued to have success in his freshman season at the U. As a redshirt, he compiled a 32-5 record in open tournaments, winning three titles and placing top three in six of the seven events in which he competed.

At the beginning of the 2015-16 season, a spot opened up in the Minnesota starting lineup to replace former All-American Nick Dardanes at 141 pounds. Thorn emerged as the leading candidate and won the spot.

Stepping in to replace such a decorated wrestler can be intimidating, but Thorn was eager to meet the challenge.

“I wrestled with Nick and Chris a ton last year,” Thorn said. “Obviously I knew they were super tough, [they were] hammers. They were great. They were really consistent throughout the year. To replace that in the lineup, it’s a lot of responsibility, but it’s exciting to be able to be given that opportunity.”

Thorn took the opportunity and ran with it. He went undefeated and captured the title at the Daktronics Open to begin the season. He followed that up with three straight wins at the Gopher Duals, his career dual debut. The following weekend he picked up his first win over a ranked opponent, beating No. 10 Randy Cruz (Lehigh) at the Northeast Duals.

Thorn has continued his impressive performance as the season has progressed. He placed at both the Cliff Keen Invitational (third) and the Southern Scuffle (fifth), while boasting one of the team’s best winning percentages in dual competition, including three more wins against ranked opponents. All this success has earned Thorn a ranking of his own. He currently sits at No. 7 in the country.

Becoming a starter for the Gophers was a goal for Thorn, but it was only one of many.

“My goal was to start all four years and become an All-American and NCAA champion,” Thorn said.

Talk of Thorn becoming an All-American will naturally bring up a discussion of the success that his brothers had with the program, and that’s ok with him. He doesn’t see that as any pressure put on him.

“I don’t think of it as pressure,” Thorn said. “I have my own goals and I want to do my own things. I want to have success as bad as anyone else. It’s not because of them and it’s not because of anyone else. I just want to win. That’s my own goal.”

If Thorn were to attain All-America honors, he and his family would make Gopher history. Ten sets of brothers, including Mike and David Thorn, have attained All-America status at Minnesota. However, should Tommy reach that level, the Thorns would be the first trio of brothers to all become All-Americans in program history.

While he still has three more seasons to rise to the All-America level and put a new record in the books, Thorn sees no reason why he can’t reach that mark this year.

“I’ve wrestled most of the tough guys in the nation already and I don’t see any reason why I can’t wrestle with them,” Thorn said. “Come NCAAs, I’m going to be ready to start taking some people out. It’s going to be my turn to start winning some big matches for myself and for the team to score some point in NCAAs. It’ll be super exciting. That’s what I’ve trained my whole life for.”

Spring ball

University of Minnesota football coach Tracy Claeys announced today that seven of Minnesota's 15 spring practices will be open to the public. Minnesota's open practices are March 10, 24, 26 and 31 and April 2, 7, and 9. The rest of the practices, which will take place on March 1, 3, 5, 8, 22 and 29 and April 5 and 8, are closed to the public and media.

All practice times will be announced in the near future.

Minnesota Football Spring Practice Dates
March 1 -- Practice 1 (Closed to the public and media)
March 3 -- Practice 2 (Closed to the public and media)
March 5 -- Practice 3 (Closed to the public and media)
March 8 -- Practice 4 (Closed to the public and media)
March 10 -- Practice 5, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public and media)
March 22 -- Practice 6 (Closed to the public and media)
March 24 -- Practice 7, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public and media)
March 26 -- Practice 8, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public and media)
March 29 -- Practice 9 (Closed to the public and media)
March 31 -- Practice 10, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public and media)
April 2 -- Practice 11, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public and media)
April 5 -- Practice 12 (Closed to the public and media)
April 7 -- Practice 13, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public and media)
April 8 -- Practice 14 (Closed to the public and media)
April 9 -- Spring Game, TCF Bank Stadium
All dates, locations and availability are subject to change

Wrestling Redshirt Brancale Captures North Country Open Title

This tournament was listed on the Gopher Wrestling Office schedule as coming up next Saturday, so I didn't realize it happened last weekend until today. Ben Brancale continues to shine...he beat a Division II AA Redshirt Senior for the title.

Brancale Captures North Country Open Title

Second straight title for Brancale headlines six placing performances from Gophers

GopherSports.com
Feb. 1, 2016

Ben Brancale won the 141-pound title at Saturday’s North Country Open in Collegeville, Minn., his second consecutive tournament title after winning the Worthington Open two weeks ago. Five other Gophers placed in the event, including Gresh Jones, Dalton Clark and Luke Destiche, who all finished fourth at their respective weights (133, 157 and 286).

Brancale reached the final match of a tournament for the third straight time, extending a streak that began with a runner-up finish at the Husky Open and continued with his Worthington Open title. He began his championship run with a major decision and a tech fall before earning a pair of two-point victories in the semifinals and finals. The 4-0 day extends his winning streak to seven straight matches. Going back to the second round of the Cobber Open, Brancale has now won 14 of his last 16 bouts.

Of the trio of fourth-place finishers for Minnesota, Destiche had the longest road, wrestling in five matches. After beginning his day with a pair of decisions, Destiche was pinned in the semifinals and sent to wrestlebacks, where he earned a three-point win to advance to the third-place match. The two other fourth-place finishers, Jones and Clark, each went 2-2 on the day. Jones has now finished fourth in three straight tournaments, while Clark has placed fourth in both collegiate tournaments in which he’s wrestled this season.

Both of Minnesota’s other placers came at 184 pounds, where Dalton Lunde defeated Faris Karaborni for fifth place.

Three other Gophers – Colin Carr, Tim Christianson and Chase O’Connor – competed in the event, but did not place.

Full match-by-match results from the North Country Open are listed below.

Match-by-Match Results

Gresh Jones (2-2, 4th Place)
Champ Rnd 1: Bye
Quarters: Gresh Jones dec Brandon Briggs (St. Cloud State), 9-2
Semis: Tyler Pasvogel (St. Cloud State) dec Gresh Jones, 11-5
Cons Semis: Gresh Jones fall (0:29) Dakota Welsh (Minnesota State-Mankato)
3rd Place: Mike Pleski (St. John's) dec Gresh Jones, 5-4

Ben Brancale (4-0, 1st Place)
Champ Rnd 1: Ben Brancale maj dec Albert Landeros (North Dakota State), 12-3
Quarters: Ben Brancale tech fall John Roddick (St. Cloud State), 20-5
Semis: Ben Brancale dec Ben Henle (St. John's), 7-5
Finals: Ben Brancale dec Matt Nelson (St. Cloud State), 3-1

Dalton Clark (2-2, 4th Place)
Quarters: Dalton Clark maj dec Boone Young (Augsburg), 11-3
Semis: Grant Parker (Augsburg) dec Dalton Clark, 4-0
Cons Semis: Dalton Clark fall (2:34) Colton Stoddard (Southwest Minnesota State)
3rd Place: Nick Mergen (North Dakota State) maj dec Dalton Clark, 13-5

Colin Carr (0-1)
Champ Rnd 1: Alex Blaney (North Dakota State) fall (0:40) Colin Carr
Cons Rnd 1: Bye
Round of 12: Jack Barsody (St. John's) med. forfeit Colin Carr

Dalton Lunde (3-2, 5th Place)
Champ Rnd 1: Dalton Lunde dec Glenn Castro (St. John's), 6-0
Quarters: Dalton Lunde dec Charley Popp (North Dakota State), 6-5

Luke Destiche (3-2, 4th Place)
Champ Rnd 1: Luke Destiche dec Lucas Damm (Southwest Minnesota State), 5-0
Quarters: Luke Destiche dec Logan Linderbaum (Minnesota State-Mankato), 3-2
Semis: Donald Longendyke (Augsburg) fall (2:30) Luke Destiche
Cons Semis: Luke Destiche dec Colin Fisher (St. John's), 4-1
3rd Place: Daniel Stibral (North Dakota State) tech fall Luke Destiche, 15-0

Chase O'Connor (0-2)
Champ Rnd 1: Mike Hobbs fall (2:56) Chase O'Connor
Cons Rnd 1: Vincent Feola (North Dakota State) dec Chase O'Connor, 11-4
Semis: Garret Miller (St. Cloud State) maj dec Dalton Lunde, 8-0
Cons Semis: Alexander Bleeker (North Dakota State) dec Dalton Lunde, 3-1
5th Place: Dalton Lunde maj dec Faris Karaborni, 12-0

Faris Karaborni (0-3, 6th Place)
Champ Rnd 1: Bye
Quarters: Garret Miller (St. Cloud State) fall (1:21) Faris Karaborni
Round of 12: Bye
Cons Semis: Cole Hennen (Southwest Minnesota State) fall (0:47) Faris Karaborni
5th Place: Dalton Lunde maj dec Faris Karaborni, 12-0

Tim Christianson (0-1)
Champ Rnd 1: Cory Flaata (St. Cloud State) dec Tim Christianson, 6-4
Cons Rnd 1: Bye
Round of 12: Charley Popp (North Dakota State) med. forfeit Tim Christianson

Anthony Anderson article

Link: Former Eden Prairie back Anthony Anderson hearing from Minnesota once again

Many of you probably remember Anderson from when he was at Eden Prairie. Minnesota placed him at Iowa Western a couple years ago and hosted him on an unofficial visit while he was on Thanksgiving Break, so there's a little bit of interest in him. I can't see him being a very serious target unless they miss out on the other power backs they're on -- Kobe McCrary and JaQua Daniels, if he's a qualifier -- but nonetheless he's worth knowing about.
Reactions: die hard gopher

Durr

very surprised, but should have never doubted Sawvel...UNC, VaTech both thought they had him. Tennessee boards loved him.

Big congrats to Jay and Tracy.

good db class...I knew Durr was good, Sawvel and Claeys really high on Kiondre today, Winfield legit speed

good lb class (I knew about Coughlin but Sherels seems very excited about Martin and his adding 30 or so pounds...Claeys sounds very excited about Barber).

I wish there was a high school dt and not projects at de; Jackson looks good

Green

fun to look at some of the stories on him. this from an Elite 11 camp in Chicago nine months ago:

Composite Ranking: No. 213 overall; No. 5 dual-threat quarterback

Seth Green spent the past stages of his high school career competing in Minnesota, but he transferred to Allen High School in the Dallas area for the 2015-16 school year. Green has enormous shoes to fill, replacing a 5-star quarterback (Kyler Murray) who never suffered a varsity loss en route to three straight Texas state titles.

He certainly looked the part of a prime-time playmaker in Chicago, drawing rave reviews from onlookers. It wasn't an immaculate effort, but Green did enough to show he has a chance to follow in Murray's footsteps.

"He had the strongest arm on the day, made the most pure power throws," Wiltfong wrote. "Consistency hurt Green at times today, but as his footwork and technique improve with reps, Green's upside is as high as any signal-caller that was on the field."

Green committed to Oregon in October.

He Said It

"He's got exactly what you want from a quarterback from a personality standpoint," former coach and mentor Brooks Bollinger told Bleacher Report. "He's really comfortable with who he is, which gives him natural confidence, but he's not arrogant."

Maybe we wont have trouble recruiting against St Johns in basketball

Things could be much worse than what is going on at the U. Take St Johns University.. Chris Mullin is having a nightmare of a first year.. First, they lost to a small school, St Thomas Aquinas, in an exhibition by 32 points.. SO you could say exhibition is not a big deal though losing by 32 is pretty bad...Okay, then they started a losing streak in the middle of December and have not had a win since.

It is very possible that they will not have a win in 2016 until next fall.. They started the streak by losing to Incarnate Word by 22, then lose to New Jersey Institute of Technology by 9.. I think there closest game since is a loss to Marquette by 6.. Lots of double digit losses. There doesn't look like there will be another win on their schedule this year. Their team doesn't look to have much improvement. Mullin is obviously a legend at St Johns so I anticipate they will give him a "longer leash" than most but there better be some improvement for next year or there could be some changes. Maybe now is the time to make inroads in New York though it doesn't look like we have much need to go outside the state of Minnesota in the next couple of years.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT