ADVERTISEMENT

Will the basketball team end the regular season winning 3 of the last 4??

I am guessing that most are thinking, "Is Vifan crazy?? Our guys have to concentrate on getting ONE Big 10 win, let alone think 3 of the last 4 games!!!"..I agree with that.. But looking at the end of the season, it is fun to speculate, especially since we have improved our play and given a couple of ranked teams some great games recently.

Our first half of the month of February looks pretty rough though we have 2 weekends off, coming up.. We have Northwestern and Michigan first.. That would be 3 offenses in a row geared as 3 point shooting teams in Indiana, Northwestern, and Michigan....After that, probably the 2 toughest opponents we will see all year in Iowa and Maryland.. The best we can do with Iowa and Maryland is play like we did against Indiana which was fast and loose.. We have nothing to lose by playing like that and we played less tight against Indiana in Bloomington. We already know the challenges that Northwestern and Michigan present...

After that, our last 4 games are against Rutgers twice, Illinois, and Wisconsin.. If we play like we did against Purdue and Indiana, I think we can win all 3 against Rutgers and Illinois.. Wisconsin is a rivalry game and we could possibly(GULP) catch them on a day they overlook us. I know I am in a fantasy world in my hypothetical, but I think it realistic to win 3 of the final 4 regular season games, at least.

Wisconsin is a team that has the toughest ending of the year of just about any conference team.. Indiana has a backloaded schedule also but Wisconsin travels to Iowa, Maryland, Michigan State, and Purdue in the last 3 weeks.. That is a monster schedule to end the season.. They have 'toss up' games with Ohio State and Michigan and probably wins against Illinois and Nebraska based on how Wisconsin has played recently.. They may be pretty tired as they travel to Iowa City, College Park, and Lansing before seeing us. One can dream, anyways..

We are a much better team than a month ago. Yes, we still need a win but the chemistry is better and guys are starting to see their roles better. The next 4 games could be tough but if Richard P. gets them to continue to play with the same effort as the recent games, 3 of 4 to end the regular season does not seem out of reach.

Junior Day visitors

Here's a list of Junior Day visitors that I've compiled. There will probably be 15 or so more additions to this list.

Out-of-State Visitors

Minnesota Visitors
  • Robbinsdale Cooper OL Eric Abojei
  • Park QB Brandon Alt
  • Woodbury OLB/DE Kolade Amusan
  • 3-star Marshall OT Blaise Andries
  • Mankato West WR Brock Annexstad
  • St. Cloud Tech QB Chris Backes
  • Totino-Grace ATH Brady Bertram
  • Providence Academy G Gavin Blomberg
  • Woodbury OLB Nico Bolden
  • Edina ATH Brock Boltmann
  • Triton DB Leif Bungum
  • Woodbury TE Nate Bursch
  • Bloomington Kennedy WR Joshua Bryant
  • Centennial DT Sam Byrd
  • Mound Westonka ATH Isaiah Cherrier
  • Totino-Grace DL Hunter Christenson
  • Woodbury WR Jeremiah Coddon
  • Eastview LB Mike Delich
  • Mahtomedi DL Graham Devore
  • Rochester Century DB Luke Fisher
  • Lewiston-Altura MLB Thomas Hennessy
  • Columbia Heights Bobby Hosch
  • Wayzata WR Alex Jensen
  • Osseo OL Nash Jensen
  • Eden Prairie DE Jermaine Johnson
  • Orono LB Max Kahn
  • Apple Valley ATH Mario Lewis
  • East Ridge RB Dominik London
  • Woodbury FB/MLB Jalen Morrison
  • Cretin-Derham Hall C Nick Neumann
  • Spring Lake Park ATH Zach Ojile
  • Caledonia DE Ezekiel Ott
  • Cretin-Derham Hall LB Zachary Panek
  • Chanhassen OL Sam Roble
  • Lakeville South C Eric Rousemiller
  • East Ridge K Grant Ryerse
  • Centennial ATH Keshaun Story
  • Chaska ATH Alex Strazzanti
  • Lakeville North RB Wade Sullivan
  • Centennial RB Riley Trettel
  • Benilde-St. Margaret's OL Eric Wilson

Ryan James, the 2018 recruiting class

It just dawned on me that if Bakary and Gaston stay the 4 years, along with Reggie Lynch coming aboard next season, that we will have 3 BIGS in the same class. Certainly, this is not Pitino's concern this year or next but that is a lot of bigs to bring in the same class when they all exhaust their eligibility.. I realize a lot can happen before that time comes, as in transfers out and/or in, but that is a daunting thought.. Having to bring in 3 productive bigs in a class is not an easy thing. Recruiting 3 wings in one class would be a lot easier.

That is going to be a big recruiting year anyways, for us. We will lose Nate, the Fitzgerald kid, and the 3 bigs if they all stay. Mason and Fitzgerald will probably be easier to replace than the bigs. Bigs take so much longer to develop and I dont see us having 2-3 other bigs on the roster by that time to "hold things down" while the younger guys learn. I see a MAJOR IMPORTANCE of getting a guy like Theo John or a comparable talent to have at least one returning big when we recruit the 2018 group.

This leads to my questions:

I would think that the huge hope for the Gophers is that Matthew Hurt would be one of the solutions as a big. Nothing is guaranteed in recruiting but I would think he would be the most likely, right?? My guess is they would hold off on a big just to keep at spot open for Matthew in the 2019 class.

Do you think Race Thompson outgrows a SF and becomes a stretch 4, at some point? He is pretty tall for being so young.

What do you think of the prospects of a Daniel Oturo(I think he is a big at Cretin Durham)???

I know Gaston is not real productive yet but again, we dont know what is going to happen the next few years before that time comes.. Just wondering if the Gophers have local options for those 3 spots in 2018, to fill those openings if Lynch, Diedhou, and Konate all stay through their senior seasons..

Claeys

Claeys since season ended:

1) cut loose Limegrover and Zebrowski, apparently w/o Kill blessing

2) cut loose Poljian and Foster, cooled on Kegel?

3) locked down jucos with Power 5 interest Garrison Wright, Vincent Calhoun to immediately bolster o-line

4) locked down juco Merrick Jackson, All American with Power 5 interest to immediately bolster d-line

5) got Seth Green signed and on campus ready for Spring reps....Green move was very impressive

6) got Barber and Dievers signed and on campus...Barber family has been very, very good to Minnesota...both end up on d-line?

7) got verbals from Winfield Jr., Durr...Winfield and Durr both have big offer sheets...Durr may stray, but hung in through UNC full-on

8) landed good regional guy in Kieft... looks like Lingen...made decision to go with guy they liked and had

9) won the bowl game with impressive defense and good play from Mitch

10) saw some transfers, but nothing devastating; kept some guys who were rumored as leaving

11) landed what looks like two good coaches/recruiters in Miller and Johnson...landed some good GAs in Cooper and Grimes...added a very popular, experienced guy in O'Brien to staff

That was a big,big flurry of positive and aggressive moves in December. This after going toe-to-toe with Michigan, Ohio State on road, Iowa on road, taking care of business vs Illini. Disappointing finish vs Wiscy.

Moving into January, continued being decisive and aggressive... he made the decision to move on from Daniels drama, but stayed with Snelson...apparently passed on Epting and Moye...

took a run at some guys with good verbals to SoCar, MO, WI in Cush, Castillo, Kasl...tried for Watts, Byrd, Fant, Lucas, got beat by Pitt, ?, Iowa, Duke...

got another juco in McCrary to bolster young position group, add physicality...

got nice pub and validation of player eval/player development with BBC, Cockran, Campbell, Maye and Murray all at Senior games

final days I'll look to check these boxes:

signs Coughlin: one of most highly touted guys to ever sign here

signs Schlueter, Johnson: two in-state guys who could have gone to other Big Ten schools

signs Howard and Hmielewski and Kieft: two in-state guys and a near-state guy with impressive athleticism; if they had waited and camped/looked around more prbly get more offers

signs Olsen and Martin, solid in-State athletes with athleticism and size

hangs in with and signs Kiondre and Winfield

brings in two good looking projects in TaMarion and DaMarcus

maybe surprises me with one or more of Snelson, Durr, Byrd, the Auburn interest guy, Tyrez, a grad transfer, a late qualifier

lands some good preferred walk on guys (esp for d-line) like the Muskego WI dt guy, the Providence/Wayzata de guy, the East Ridge fb, the SSP kid, Darrell's kid.

Go Gophers!

Reactions to Junior Day

Already recapped with Andries and Abojei. Here are some more reactions:
  • Park QB Brandon Alt: "Junior day went great!! They took us all around the stadium and showed really cool features it has! It was truly mind blowing. The locker room was amazing! I've never seen anything that cool! Absolutely amazing."
  • Woodbury OLB/DE Kolade Amusan: "It went great Coach Claeys started it out and he just talked what Minnesota football is all about and what not. Then we went to position meetings, then the rest was tours of the hall of fame, locker room, training room and stadium. Favorite part was definitely when Coach Claeys and the other coaches were explaining what the program is all about. It opened my eyes."
  • IMG Academy WR Brock Annexstad: "Junior day went great! They talked about their recruiting process, and a few coaches spoke about their philosophy for finding and developing athletes. Then they showed us around the facilities! It was a good experience."
  • Totino-Grace ATH Brady Bertram: "It was awesome! We got there and filled out a questionnaire for them and then they just showed us a highlight tape and talked about their program. After that we broke up into position groups but all the skill positions stayed together because the running back coach and receiver coach were at a funeral. We got a tour of the stadium which was cool!"
  • Centennial DT Sam Byrd: "It went really good! We started out with the opening presentation and introductions. Then we went to position meeting with Coach Phelps, which was really cool. Then we had the tour of the facility and we took pictures and went on the field to close it out."
  • Mound Westonka ATH Isaiah Cherrier: "It went really well! We had an introductory period, then we split off and had position meetings. We also took a tour of the stadium and locker room. It was really cool to meet all of the coaches. Favorite part was definitely seeing the locker room."
  • Eastview LB Mike Delich: "It went well! We got there and they did a regular introduction of the gopher football program. Then we went split up into position groups and heard our position coach talk. Next they gave us a tour of the stadium, and then we ended in the game day locker room! It was pretty cool. Favorite part I would have to say meeting with Coach Sherels, the linebacker coach."
  • Mahtomedi DL Graham Devore: "It was great! The locker room is amazing! We met with all the coaches and toured the locker room, the field, and other sport specific rooms."
  • Rochester Century DB Luke Fisher: "Junior day went well. I met the safeties coach and DB coaches. We toured some of the facilities and TCF bank, and they really just showed us how they go through the recruiting process! Favorite part was talking to Coach O'Brien and trying on the jerseys was pretty cool! They gave us really great information about their university!"
  • Totino-Grace RB Gayflor Flomo: "Junior Day went well. My position coach wasn't there, but I learned a lot about the program and about what they have. We basically toured their facility and put on their jerseys."
  • Lewiston-Altura MLB Thomas Hennessy: "Junior Day was great! There was a pretty big group of guys and their parents…about 100 junior prospects from Minnesota and around the country. Coach Claeys gave a great talk about the program and shared program goals with us. We were introduced to the entire staff and then we broke out into position groups. I was with the linebackers so we got to know Coach Sherels better and learned exactly what they’re looking for as far as being a Golden Gopher linebacker. We learned the expectations and the level of commitment it is going to require. After the position talks, we toured the TCF Stadium facilities and then got to experience the locker room and try on a jersey and take it all in. We also got to go out on the field for photos, etc. It ended with a social in the locker room where we had the opportunity to talk with coaches and staff. I appreciated the opportunity to receive specific direction on how to best prepare myself to achieve my goals at becoming a Golden Gopher. All in all, it was an inspiring and motivating day! The future of Minnesota football looks bright and I am praying for the opportunity to be part of it!"
  • Columbia Heights Bobby Hosch: "It was good.. Coach Claeys talked to us, then had a position meeting with linebacker coach, then toured the stadium then went into the locker rooms and game field. Favorite part was going to the locker rooms and seeing all the equipment and everything."
  • Wayzata WR Alex Jensen: "It was great! I was able to go with a teammate of mine, Justin Wolk, and we had an amazing time. It was neat to be able to tour through TCF Bank Stadium and go out on the field. I learned a lot from the coaches that spoke and saw a great facility!"
  • Osseo OL Nash Jensen: "It was very fun. We took a tour of the facility and had meeting with our position coaches and what they like to do at that position. And then at the end we got to put on a jersey. Favorite parts were talking to Coach Miller and getting to put on the jersey."
  • Orono LB Max Kahn: "It was great. I got to meet the coaches and tour TCF Bank Stadium."
  • Apple Valley ATH Mario Lewis: "It went great. I learned a lot about the program! Great to talk and see the coaches, but the running back coach was not there because he had to go to a funeral."
  • East Ridge RB Dominik London: "Just got a lot of information about recruiting and we split up by position and then we talked about Minnesota's program and their weight program and at the end they get us a tour of the stadium and everything."
  • Cretin-Derham Hall C Nick Neumann: "My junior day went great, I talked with Coach O'Brien, Coach Miller, and Coach Johnson. It was just a great atmosphere to be in. I really loved the whole thing as a whole, and trying on the jersey was a blast, kind of imagining you are getting ready for a game. My absolute favorite part was being in the locker room seeing all the greats that were once Gophers, also seeing my coach Ray Hitchcock on the wall, #55, and talking to coach Miller."
  • Spring Lake Park ATH Zach Ojile: "Junior Day was good. I thought it was a cool experience! First had a program overview and heard from Coach Claeys, their director of recruiting, and strength and conditioning coach and such. We then had a position meetings and finished with a tour of the stadium."
  • Chanhassen OL Sam Roble: "It was awesome! Started with an elevator ride with Coach Claeys (personal luxury) then went straight into some speeches by Billy, then Coach Claeys gave a speech, and finally the Strength and Conditioning coach and the nutritionist spoke. Then we broke into position meetings where I met both offensive line coaches and they spoke about traditions and their recruiting process. Finally, a tour through the HoF, training room, M Club room, and finally the game day locker room and field for pictures. They had all the jerseys hung up for us to try on and take pictures in. It's was one of the coolest things I've done."
  • Chaska ATH Alex Strazzanti: "It was an awesome experience. We got to listen to several coaches talk about being a gopher, we were able to meet our position coaches and we toured most of TCF Bank Stadium."
  • Lakeville North RB Wade Sullivan: "It was really good! We talked about the campus and the football program! Then took a tour around the stadium and the facilities they have!"
  • Centennial RB Riley Trettel: "It went great! We showed up and a few of the coaches spoke in front of the group including Coach Claeys. Then we took a tour of TCF Bank; we saw the locker room, the hall of fame room, and the field. I spoke with the offensive coordinator Coach Johnson briefly, and then I left. It was a pretty great experience."
  • Dawson-Boyd ATH Eli Weber: "It went well. We got to listen to what the program was all about and got a tour of TCF. We met with position coaches and they told us what they're all about and things that they look for in a recruit. We got a tour of the home locker room and got to step on the field for a bit. It was an overall good experience!"
  • Benilde-St. Margaret's OL Eric Wilson: "Went really well! Had some great conversations with Coach Miller, Sherels, and Glasscock. It was awesome to spend time with other recruits in the locker room at the end of the day, it was fun meeting the kids you always read about."

St. Mary's Orchard Lake (Mich.) 3-star CB Richard Bowens III - Hudl: "Minnesota's Junior Day was really great. Afterwards, I met with Claeys and Sawvel and talked about several things. They just told me that I still have an offer and how much they want me."

Login to view embedded media
Lincoln Southeast (Nebr.) WR Sterling Smith - Hudl

Seaman (Kansas) QB Dalton Cowan - Hudl

Kearney (Nebr.) OLB Noah Urbanek - Hudl: "It went good. We toured the facilities, talked about academics, and then we talked to our position coaches. My favorite part was probably walking out on the field and seeing the locker room and everything. That was pretty cool."
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT