ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Thomas

Ryan James

May 10, 2004
Watching Matt Thomas often makes me a bit salty. Love him as a player and when he was a recruit.

Matt wanted to be a Gopher. Came on two unofficial visits before his senior year both times wearing Gopher gear with his family. Has family in the Twin Cities and wanted to live close to home (La Crosse I think) and be in this metro area.

Tubby offered him late. Tubby didn't show much interest in him at all really or at least didn't put much effort in. Matt was patient with them though. Was interested to see how much interest the Gophers would show in the open period that spring. All the teams on him were there on night one at Hopkins for the NY2LA event with head coaches, some also with assistants. They were playing a young Rashad Vaughn. Many Gopher fans went to watch it. And many Gopher fans noticed no Tubby. And they also noticed not a single Gopher coach was there watching until Saul Smith showed up with a hat deep over his eyes wearing clothes that were likely meant for his going out after the games.

They could of had him in that 2013 class with any type of effort. Instead they got Foster and Ellis who ended up not coming. Matt went to the next closest place, Iowa State.

I will never forget this. It blew me away. Effort was terrible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News